TRIAC Mill Spindle Project

2010

 
 

All the parts are now done. I got the house anodised just to have a slightly smaller inner diameter. The surface treatment usually build around 0.001 mm and 0.002 mm on the surfaces. Not much but given that the span of the tolerance was 0.008 mm on the diameter, the difference is notably. This was as the aluminium will be affected more with thermal growth than the bearings. I choose 7075 aluminium for the housing simply as the operator making the housing had a spare piece of that in the right dim laying around so I did not have to wait for raw material, and the price for less time machining was much less. So economy and time, the usual enemies for the engineer.

If and how muck thermal growth will affect the spindle will be shown in the future, but I have good hopes that it will be ok for me.

I also took another important decision; not to use flood cooling. This as I had a look at our CNC at work which is a nice modern machine with flood cooling and all the covers and seals I will never be able to put on my machine. The machine had start to smell since a week, and we decided to replace the coolant and clean the machine. It was a real mess and I will never be able to have such a good cover system so my machine will be worse, plus I will use it less frequent so the coolant will be let to rotten longer and more often. Not good.

The outcome is that I will try to use a homebuilt version of the Fogbuster, which I have read that many people have had some good result with. There are a lot of people that have made own version of this system and it seams like the perfect system for hobbyist.

Below is a final test mounting of all the parts so far. tomorrow I will make a final machining of spindle as the TTS tool is drawn agains the nose surface of the spindle. I will then measure it and fingers crossed it will be ok...

More speed, more power, more movement, more coolant, more light..